Question Type X — Function of Part of the Passage
Why does the author say the things he or she does? Every part of the passage has a purpose, which is typically connected to the main idea.
How to identify ‘Function of Part of the Passage’ questions: The question will ask why the author says something.
- For what reason does the author assert that the slave rebellion was highlighted?
- Why does the author cite the studies on global warming in paragraph 3?
- What function does the analogy to a military coup in paragraph 2 serve?
How to tackle them: Generally, each part of a passage functions to:
- Support a point made elsewhere in the passage (maybe the main idea).
- Show why two things are similar or different.
- Clarify a point.