In the prior chapters you attempted to observe reasoning and comment on an argument’s structure. Now you move one step further and try match the technique of reasoning with another example of it.
CHALLENGE: Match the Principle
Principle questions will define a “principle” and the student must match it with a similar principle among the answer choices. These questions are typically phrased like this:
- Which of the following illustrates the principle that the passage illustrates?
- Which one best illustrates the principles underlying the passage?
- Which one of the following judgements conforms most closely with the principle cited in the passage?
How to solve
- Identify the reasoning in the passage. It could be a structure of conditionals.
- Find a matching pattern in the answer choices.
Sample Principle Questions